Thank you to everyone who visited the community garden for the first Harvest Celebration! It was a glorious, sunny day to visit with friends and neighbours.
Some of the highlights included:
- ￼￼￼Three energetic musical acts: community favourites The Hot Timalis featuring Tim Fraser and Alison LaBerge; acoustic guitar player Paul Millar; and the duet I Am The Mountain. Thanks to all of the musicians, who added a festive and energetic beat to the afternoon!
- Farmers: Eric Boiral of Little Bow Organic Farm, Lindsay and Louise from Patterson Springs Farm, and Linda Rempel, who of whom sold their produce and preserves market-style. Thanks also to Patterson Springs Farm for sharing their chickens, rabbits and “cows!”
- Cider Press: borrowed from the Calgary Urban Harvest. Good job to everyone who participated in making apple cider from very local apples.
- Kathleen Van Ihinger from Harmonic Herbs spoke to a captivated audience on “Seed Saving.” See the community garden website www.wildwoodcommunitygarden.net for more information on seed saving, and GMO’s by Chris Ronak.
- Sara Haney of Apple Tree Sustainables visited once again with her healthy body products.
- Calgary Public Library was represented by Maya. She brought an inspiring collection of gardening, harvest and preserving books.
- Chris the Balloon Guy brought many smiles to the faces of many kids (and adults)!
- Apiaries and Bees for Communities visited to educate and inform people of backyard beekeeping!
Thank you to everyone who attended. We hope it can become an annual event!
~ Carolyn Smith