Bill Ptacek discussed the Calgary Public Library.
- New initiatives:
- Public library cards are now free. Anyone who doesn’t have a public library card is encouraged to visit a branch and get a card.
- Meeting rooms in the library are now free with the goal to strengthen community development and connections – first come, first served.
- Community associations are now provided with content for newsletters, and the Calgary Public Library is offering to assist community associations with forming book clubs.
- The libraries continue to have access to computers, and free programming for kids and adults.
- Later this month, the official start of the construction of the Calgary central library will begin.
- The Westbrook library will have a coffee shop, and space on the first and second floors of the building. The library will hopefully be relocated by the end of 2015.
- The sandstone was moved into a new garden space at the back, allowing for the Zamboni to be able to operate this winter. They are considering adding a bench and some native plants.
- A motion has been approved by the Board to purchase pickleball equipment for community program use.
AED: Discussion took place regarding the purchase of up to 2 devices for use in the WCA hall and with outdoor access from the Zamboni shed.
- The affordable housing land use change in designation was approved by City Council on September 14, with 3 x 16 unit buildings at the original location.