The Community Garden is planning many interesting and inspiring workshops this year. We invite you to come and learn with us. We have connected with many gardening experts and want you to hear their great presentations!
Establishing Your Forest Garden Workshop
Sat. March 5th, 2016 10 – 12 a.m.
Wildwood Community Garden
We are pleased to announce that Adrian Buckley and Luke Kimmel from reGenerate Design, one of Calgary’s leading ecological design & build firms, will join us at the garden.
Forest Gardening is the act of designing and planting gardens that mimic the structure and function of natural forest systems, allowing us to reap the benefits of low maintenance, natural beauty, and diverse food production throughout the whole growing season. Anyone with trees, shrubs, and perennials to care for, or dreams of starting their own forest garden, will benefit from learning the ecological design principles in this course. Adrian and Luke will guide us through the establishment tasks and observational habits that make forest gardens thrive, including pruning, “chop n’ drop”, protecting against pests and disease, and much more.
Check out their website at www.regeneratedesign.ca
The cost for this comprehensive workshop is “Pay what you can” (suggested amount $10/family. Proceeds go toward the maintenance and care of the community garden. To register: email@example.com
2016 Garden Workshops
- March 5/16 Establishing Your Forest Garden Workshop with Adrian Buckley and Luke Kimmel from regenerate Design
- March 12/16 Early plantings with Janet Melrose, Calgary’s Cottage Gardener
- April 30/16 Lyndon Penner, author of “The Chinook Short Season Yard”:
- Read more from him at https://jadecypress.wordpress.com
- Listen to Lyndon @ http://www.cbc.ca/homestretch/columnists/gardening/
- September Harvest Festival
- Other workshops being planned: compost and compost tea applications (an alternative to spraying with pesticides which is safer for children and pets); fermentation; art in the garden; and more!