Over the weekend, Calgary Police Service (CPS) shared information about reports of possible abduction or child luring attempts, in the communities of Windsor Park, Wildwood, Forest Lawn and Copperfield. You may have seen this information reported in the news. We wanted to make you aware so that together, we can all work to ensure the safety of our families.
Please consider reviewing the following safety tips from CPS with your children:
Make sure your child knows:
- Their full name, age, address, area code, home phone number and parents’ work/cellphone number.
- How to use a pay phone to make both local and long distance phone calls.
- How to contact police, fire and EMS in an emergency (9-1-1) and in a non-emergency (403-266-1234).
- To use the same route to and from school.
- Where the safe places are to play (front and backyards, playgrounds).
- What places to avoid (vacant lots, dark, wooded, bushy areas).
If your child is being followed by a person or car, make sure they know to do the following:
- turn and run in the opposite direction;
- get a description and licence number of the stranger’s vehicle if possible;
- run to the closest safe place; and,
- stay in open areas that are visible.
Remember to tell them that uniformed police officers are friends who can be trusted.
The stranger rules
Familiarize your child with “the stranger rules” – these rules will help keep them safe.
- Never talk to strangers.
- Never take anything from strangers.
- Never go anywhere with a stranger.
- Do not be fooled by tricks or phoney conversation.
- If a stranger tries to grab you, yell, scream and kick.
- Never tell a stranger you are by yourself or that your parents or guardian are not home.
Anyone with information about these incidents, or any suspicious activity, should contact police by calling 403-266-1234. Anyone in immediate danger or witnessing a crime-in-progress should call 9-1-1.
Tips can also be submitted anonymously to Crime Stoppers through any of the following methods:
· TALK: 1-800-222-8477
· TYPE: www.calgarycrimestoppers.org
· APP: P3 Tips