Given the current COVID-19 Variants program dates/times and registrations are subject to change.
What is Shinny?
Shinny is a non-competitive, non-contact alternative hockey program for community girls and boys. The format consists of learning and practicing skills, playing games and having lots of fun with friends!
When and What Time?
The program starts in January and runs as long as the weather permits. All games are played at the Wildwood Community outdoor ice rink.
There are four groups of shinny that play throughout the season. Three groups consist of girls and boys mixed, and one consists of girls only.
Grades K – 3: Tuesdays, 6:15 – 7:15 pm
Grades 7 & Up: Tuesdays, 7:30 – 8:30 pm
Girls Gr. 4 – 7: Wednesdays, 6:30 – 7:30 pm
Grades 4 – 6: Thursdays, 6:30 – 7:30 pm
Girls Only Group
Due to popular demand last year, the WCA will be trialing the addition of a new girls-only group for Shinny this year. There is no requirement for girls to sign up for this group – it is merely open as an option for girls who may be more comfortable in a girls-only setting. If this new group is a success, the WCA will look into running it again next year.
Grades 7 & Up Group
This is a new group that allows our bigger kids to strap their skates on and have a game with friends This group will still require a coach/referee and will be treated as a registered program (drop-ins are not allowed). This group is currently open to students in grades 7 to 10, but may be increased if space allows. *Players are required to bring their own jerseys.
What is Required?
Hockey skills are not required, but players should have at least modest skating skills.
Equipment: Players must have full hockey gear, including a neck guard and a full-face hockey helmet. Older players will have an opportunity to play goal with equipment (stick, pads, blocker, catcher and chest protector) provided by the community. Wildwood Shinny jerseys are also required by all players (except the Grades 7 & Up group).
Cost: For those new to the program or for those who need a new jersey, Wildwood Shinny jerseys can be ordered (Grades 7 and Up pay the $30 fee).
- $45 – new jersey required
- $30 – no new jersey required
Membership: An active 2022 Wildwood Community Association membership is required to participate in the shinny program. For more information about memberships and current fees, click here.
This program requires each family to volunteer in some capacity. Volunteer positions will be determined after registration. *If positions are not filled, programs may be cancelled.
- Coach(s) – Plan and run weekly drills and game play
- Asst. Coach(s) – Assist in the planning and execution of weekly play
- On-Ice Volunteer(s) – Assist kids on ice (more for the younger ages)
- On-site Coordinator – Manage nightly sign in, volunteers and onsite communication (at least 1 volunteer is required for each group)
- Pinnie Coordinator(s) – Help distribute and collect pinnies during game play
- Pinnie Washer(s) – Take home pinnies to wash weekly
- Ice/Rink Rats – Help clear and maintain ice throughout season and before game play
- Floater Volunteers/Wind Up – Due to COVID-19 protocols we may require more volunteers for specific duties or to fill in for volunteer absences. If regulations allow, we may also need volunteers for a year end party.
How to Register?
OPENS November 18 at 6PM.
Program registration is now run online. Please follow the link below to register your child for shinny: online registration.
Note: A number cap will be placed on all programs.
Please contact Stacey Zurburg (Shinny Coordinator) with any questions or concerns at email@example.com.